Monday, March 6, 2017

How to start a more minimalist closet !





I plead guilty , a year ago, I own wayyyy to much clothes in my closet.

When I move to the states, the only space I had to carry my clothes was my trunk. I needed to make choice. A lot of them was not smart at all but I still reduce almost half of my closet.

After reading books & articles about minimalist, I did another round of choosing the clothes I need & get rid of the rest. (I donate the clothes to  the salvation army)

You are tempted to ask me : Why will I have a more minimalist closet?

Here is the reasons why :


  • It is wayyyy more easier to chose your clothes in the morning. 
  • You save money. Why ? Because you actually used your clothes and buy only what you need.
  • You have more space for other things.
  • You used your clothes!
  • It's good for the earth.
  • You own quality clothes instead of quantity.
Now that I got you curious about this here how to start:

  • Look at every pieces of clothes you own. Analyse them. Are they fitting together ? Do you still wear them ? Are they fit your style and personnality? Do they make you look at your best? If the answer is no : Donate!

  • Get rid of the clothes you haven't wear for at least a year, or the one they don't fit anymore. If you lose weight, you will want new clothes.

  • Find the color that match with your skin tone, your hair & eyes. The cold colors fit you better ? That's mean you don't need that bright yellow shirt that you haven't wear in a decade.

  • Find your own style. What is comfortable? What make you feel pretty? What is the message you want to send to the world ? What is still trendy and in good condition?

  • Now divide your clothes by seasons : Fall & winter clothes together and spring and summer together. Only keep in the closet the clothes for the actual season and put the other in a plastic container in the attic.

  • Ok, Now you know where you are going. You meditate on your style, on the type of clothes you like and you got rid of the one who didn't fit with you anymore. The principe of having a minimalist closet it's that every piece that you own fit together. The best way to get there it's by having classic & monochrome clothes. Not boring clothes, but clothes the same shade that will fit with every pants. Go wild & colorful with the accessories (necklaces, shoes, earings, belt...etc) But remember, you don't need 1 million necklace. Just one or two that fit with everything & that you truly love.
  • We have so much clothes we never used, this is what minimalist is about. If you own just a few pieces in your closet you are going to wear them and used them until they are not good anymore. Own less, save money & live better.

Time to shop ? 

  • Now you need new clothes because you actually used the one you have. Time to shop smart. Prefer quality to quantity. Pay a little more for one nice pull  that will last years and still be the same shape after washing it, instead of buying 3 cheap quality shirts that is gonna be waste in few months.

  • Keep in mind that you know your style now, no need to buy that neon leggings that are super trendy but will be ugly in 3 weeks. 
You think classic fashion is boring ? Think about iconic women like Jacky Kennedy, Olivia Pope (ok I know she's not real) Claire in House of cards.. etc.

Classy never look old and boring ! 

What is your minimalist closet tips ? Follow me on IG : ve_allthelittlethings !
And keep following me for more minimalist closet tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment