Tuesday, January 31, 2017

From a Canadian City to Deep Country in Mississippi


I was born & raised in a 100 thousand people  city in Québec, Canada. My whole family speak french, they all live in the city too. So my experience with the dirt and the mug of the country was quasi non-existent.  A few visit at a farm… and that is it.
By destiny  I met an american online and after months of relation, I decide to take the big step and move with him in the deep country of Mississippi.


Maybe one day I will talk to you about all my cultural shocks but this is not what this is about today. Today I want to talk to you about the evidence that we are made for a certain lifestyle and we just don’t know it.
I never thought that at 30 years old I will move from my hometown and I will live in a place where the closest shop is twenty minutes of car away. I thought this lifestyle was absolutely NOT  for me.
I couldn’t stand to think that I will be bored like he.. l in a town where nothing happen. But I was motivated by love and probably a lot of hope.






You can imagine how surprise I was when I first saw a cow in the backyard. I was like : Wô, this is cool (and that stink too), neighbor's dogs running everywhere without a leash, a bunch of goats in a front yard and all that stuff I haven’t seen yet.

It took me two months to realise that this was my life now  and I have to stop “grieving” my old city lifestyle.  And then it happen : I realise that I love country. I love that everyone waves hands when they see you, the breath of fresh air when you take a step outside, the absolutely amazing view and the calm of it. The calm of not having the pressure of a social status, the calm of being who I am, the calm of a walk outside with my boyfriend looking at the cows playing with each other. Having the chance to have a nature lifestyle.


I thought that I was a city girl cause I haven’t experience anything else. Now that I took a step out of my comfort zone, I realize that I was made to be a country girl. I raise and feed chickens and it make me happy and alive. I’m proud that they were just baby chicks and now they are big and ugly. I’m proud that I contribute directly to nature. I slept every night without car or motorcycle sounds!
I have the feeling that I am in communion with myself here and it’s amazing. I saw a sky full of stars for the first time without buildings, house and everything. Just a dark sky and thousands of stars. I was almost in tears. What a beautiful life is out there that I knew nothing about.

I always been a nervous person in the city and here, I am more in peace. I found calm and beauty everywhere. Why ? Cause I decide to take a step outside my comfort zone. I decide that I will try something else, I will learn, I will live and I will maybe enjoy it.
Now I know that I am not just used to it, I am happy in it. I am happier in this environnement.  I still enjoy going out in the city for a couple of days, but I am happy to see my stinky chickens and come back in this small town.

You know when you read something like you are just one decision away for a complete different life. This is it. I took the decision to follow my heart and It lead me to found the real me.
This is what life is about, experiment, take a chance, step out of comfort zone, make mistakes, try, learn, assume your choice and then found happiness.

Love,


Are you a city or a country girl and why ? Leave a comment

No comments:

Post a Comment